Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Shrimp Stir Fry with Peppers, Mushrooms, Squash, and Spinach

I started the diet one month ago and I've shed 12 pounds and two notches on my belt.  I've been surprised at how easy it has been to stay on a diet of 100g of carbohydrates a day.  Don't get me wrong.  It does take discipline, but I have found ways to feed my sweet tooth stay on an even keel.

The loss of weight and difference in my energy level are huge motivational factors that are convincing me that this is a life style change I will be able to maintain for the long run.  Once I hit my goal weight and go on a maintenance diet, I should be able to eat what I want, whenever I want, as long as what I want isn't junk, processed white flour or sugar.

Right now my breakfast usually consists of only a slice of whole grain toast with peanut butter and a cup of coffee.  If I get hungry before lunch or dinner, I grab a slice or two of deli turkey or roast beef, but once I hit my goal, I'll add eggs and bacon to the breakfast.

Lunch varies, but on many days I go for my Chocolate Protein Shake.  Depending on the menu for the day and the need to feed my sweet tooth, I might go with only a half cup of yogurt and/or leave out the banana to save some carbs.  Once I hit my goal, soup and a sandwich will do nicely.

My sweet treats come from Lenny and Larry's.  In most cases, it is a half of a Muscle Brownie, but there are some days that I treat myself to a whole one.  Jill found that if you put them in the microwave for 10 seconds that go from really good to OMG!

Today's dinner was a shrimp stir fry.  It is one of my favorite meals and it comes in at 39 carbs total.  The full recipe is below the video.  Most of my dinners will continue to be my post diet dinner, but with the addition of rice.



Shrimp Stir Fry with Peppers, Mushrooms, Squash, and Spinach

Ingredients  (1 Serving)

10 jumbo shrimp precooked
1/2 medium zucchini (or summer squash)
1 red bell pepper
4 large mushrooms
1 1/2 cup fresh spinach
1 tbsp cooking oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
red pepper flakes to taste (optional)
1 tbsp Tsang General Tsao sauce


Mix the General Tsao sauce with the shrimp and set aside to marinate while preparing the rest of the ingredients.

Chop peppers, mushroom, and squash and mix together in a bowl.  Keep the spinach separate.

Heat one tablespoon of oil in a fry pan on medium high, add the vegetable mixture, and stir. After about a minute or two add the salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, and red pepper flakes. Continue stirring the vegetables for another 3-5 minutes depending on how crisp or tender you want them.

Add the spinach and shrimp.  Stir to mix all the ingredients.  Cover and cook for two more minutes, stirring occasionally.   Remove from the heat, serve, and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment