Thursday, December 18, 2014

Maintining My Weight and Fitness

One of the reasons I have not published anything since April is because I'm happy to say that very little had changed since then. The 20 pounds I lost have stayed lost. I'm going to the gym five days a week, walking outside a few days a week, and have stopped counting carbs.

I stopped coaching wrestling over 25 years ago, but right now I am in about the best shape I have been in since then. For the past 20 years, I was going to the chiropractor on a fairly regular basis, at least a few times a month. I don't honestly remember the last time I went, but I know I have not gone since April. I attribute it to working out PROPERLY and watching my diet.

My diet it both predictable and spontaneous. I've learned how much I can eat without starting my upward climb. I know what to avoid and as long as I avoid the junk I can eat comfortably without feeling deprived.

One or two days a week we go out for breakfast. I usually have a western omlette, rye toast, and home fries. Occasionally, I'll dive off the deep end and have Belgium waffles and real maple syrup.

When I'm at home, it's usually one of two breakfasts. The first is simply coffee with peanut butter and jelly on Nature's Own 13 grain toast. The second is coffee and a bacon, egg, and cheese on 13 grain toast.

Lunch is usually a sandwich using 13 grain toast. What's in the sandwich depends on what's in the refrigerator. It could be turkey, roast beef, chicken, tuna, with lettuce, tomato, and mayo. Before the diet, it wasn't unusual for me to visit McDonald's at least 3 days a week. Now the visits are once or twice a month. 

Dinner is our big meal and that can be anything.  Whenever possible it is home cooked and usually consists of meat and a few vegetables.  However, lasagna or pasta and rolls also make appearances. The key is portion control. For me, that means leaving the table when I am comfortable. Before, it use to mean leaving the table when I was stuffed.

Then there is the problem of my sweet tooth. That too, is now under control thanks to Atkins Cookies and Cream Chocolate bar and Lenny and Larry's Muscle Brownies. I could eat them all day long, but I suspect that would not be the ideal diet.

All of this is accompanied by as much water as I can take in during the day.  I used to go through a two liter bottle of Coke every two days.  For as long as I can remember, my doctors have told me I don't drink nearly as much water as I should.  I still don't drink enough, but I have substituted water or diet iced tea for Coke.   I do know I am drinking more than I have in the past and the reduced sugar intake is has factored in heavily on my weight loss.

I've always said I wanted to live to be 100.  With 30 more years to go, I really feel that I have an achievable goal, but I've always been an over achiever and am looking forward to making an entry here in August of 2044.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment